Making this painted table, I’ve filled my craftiness quota for at least four years.
When we married my brother-in-law built us a gorgeous Amish-style table that we used for dining – small, but perfect for the two of us. It’s a great table, but our family having grown, we needed a larger table.
Always up for a project that takes more time, effort, and money than I originally estimate, I decided to make a Scandinavian painted table.
Our friends have a family heirloom dining room table from Sweden. It’s a bright blue (that distinctive Swedish blue, if you’ve ever seen it) with a colorful painted flower motif, the wood worn in places from generations of use. I love their table and hoped to imitate it in painting ours.
While in Oregon we bought a rickety, paint-splattered table from Goodwill. There, in the comfort of my woodworking father’s large shop, I sanded it enough to give new paint something to latch on to, but not so much as to strip the finish off completely. We then disassembled and hauled it to Michigan to our less-than-savory garage:
(We not only bought a house, we bought an artificial Christmas tree. If I wasn’t from Christmas-tree growing Oregon and therefore morally, ethically, aesthetically, logically, illogically, and in all other ways opposed to anything except the Real Deal when it comes to Christmas trees, I’d say, “Score!” As it is, it’s all yours if you want to come haul it away.)
I chose Behr’s Paint-and-Primer in Divine Wine (UL110-22) as the piece’s base color to complement our house’s woodwork:
Applying the first coat:
I was ready to paint the design after three coats of Divine Wine. I wanted a flower, vine, and berries motif in sage green, cream, and gold. Doubting my own artistic abilities, I first opted for stencils. The first corner looked fine:
Subsequent corners, not so much:
And I thought, “This stencil business is harder than it seems!”
There. Let’s try again:
I painted the design in stages, beginning with the darkest green for the vine and leaves. Once dry, I used the lighter sage color to accent the vine and leaves. The flowers are a cream color, highlighted with the same gold I used for the berries. The paint is also Behr Paint-and-Primer, but in sample sizes.
Obviously, I also painted the table legs:
Two coats of Minwax Polycrylic gave the table a protective coating. We then brought it into the house to assemble:
(The Boy is much more helpful when he’s eating his lunch.)
Right side up:
The previous table-turned-desk and all the bookcases now having moved to the (ahem, MY) office, the painted table has room to gloat in all its glory in the spacious, gracious dining room:
Next up: Painting the chairs. And the dining room. And putting something up on the walls.